Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Screenwriter's Journey, 1.0

I'm writing a screenplay, like a lot of aspiring writers who feel that the WGA strike could a blessing to their dreams. I figure, "strike while the iron is hot." Studio execs are hungry for new talent and I've found, after a 2+ hour phone conference with producer/teacher Hal Croasmun, that high concept alone could sell scripts these days.

Well I think I have it: high concept, original idea, marketable to a wide audience and a marriage of two themes I don't think has ever been written on a major successful level. Of course, most of this is still in my head. I've completed the first 30 or so pages of my first draft and will begin my second draft asap.

I recently acquired David Trottier's The Screenwriter's Bible, which has been in one word: essential. The character development, plotline and structure are all moving along nicely, and at a better pace than I could have ever anticipated. I plan to enter my script in five screenwriting competitions (final deadlines around April or so) as well as continue to exchange dialogue with some people I've been fortunate enough to have met.

I know I haven't said much about the script itself, but as it is still in it's baby stages, I will refrain from divulging much info until it can stand on it's own two feet (like the imagery?). I will say however, that it's an idea I threw out on IMDb's Oscar Buzz message board sometime last year, which was well received by some of the toughest amateur critics. I thought, if these guys rolled with the idea, why not give it a shot?

So here I am, in the middle of it all and loving every minute of it (seriously). And like with all great ventures, most of the joy comes with the journey. I will post updates, periodically as my work progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog format only allows the last 7 posts to be viewable on the first page. To see the older posts, navigate through the list of Labels on the side, OR click on 'Older Posts'.
Powered By Blogger