Thursday, January 31, 2008

My 10 Favourite Films of 2007

2007 was interesting in that while it may not have provided the most amazing crop of films of the decade (or even the past two years), it certainly produced a crop of unique and memorable motion pictures. These are the 10 that impressed me most <>

The Cream

(updated)
10. 3:10 to Yuma
9. Into the Wild

8. Show Business



Detailing the road taken by 4 new broadway musicals on the way to the Tony Awards, this documentary feature was one of the most fun, refreshing and exhilarating motion pictures I've had the pleasure of viewing last year. I actually found this one by mistake, which could've added to my overall appreciation of it. For lovers of theatre, this is an enthusiastic recommendation.

7. Grindhouse



Seeing this was the most fun I had in a movie theatre last year. This film is pure adrenaline, and features two fresh, original and funny throwbacks to grindhouse features. Fake trailers and purposefully sloppy editing added another element that created the perfect atmosphere for this type of feature. While I preferred Planet Terror slightly to Death Proof, each brought it's own edge to the project and showcased each director's capabilities. But someone should really tell QT to stop "acting."

6. There Will Be Blood



Paul Thomas Anderson lends credibility to his versatility with this very impressive adaptation. The cinematography, score, art direction and sound are all top notch, and the film is accentuated by two incredible performances by Lewis and Dano. The Daniel Plainview uttered quoted, "I drink your milkshake" is one for the ages, and will be remembered for years to come.

5. Lust, Caution



Ang Lee brings insight, personality and unprecedented sensuality to this production. Lust, Caution excels in nearly every area and the atmosphere broods with tension and unpredictable brutality. This is one of the best combinations of cinematography and editing for the year, and the score could very well be the year's best (although my sentiments lie with Howard's work in I Am Legend). Tang Wei crafts a memorable lead (in more ways than one), and brings her all to this most impressive debut role.

4. Once



Hands down, the sweetest movie of the year, whose ending is possibly my favourite since 2004's Before Sunset. The songs are all magical, the story perfect in it's simplicity, and the film unforgettable in it's sincerity. This is my favourite movie musical since Moulin Rouge! Once hits you when you least expect it, and with it's emotionally satisfying cadre of songs, will not soon be forgotten.

3. I Am Legend



So good in so many ways, I am still baffled by the hate towards this near-perfect genre flick. Will Smith's performance is spot-on, and he single-handedly carries this film, with a little help from his dog Sam. The atmosphere is perfect, the score is perfect, and even though it's resolution may have been a bit contrived, I was completely satisfied both times I watched it.

2. In the Shadow of the Moon



The most impressive documentary I've seen in a long time, and this year marks the only year I've ever included two docs in my end of year Top 10. What sets this apart is the combination style of re-telling the events. We are treated to the story of man's journey to the moon, from the POV of the astronauts involved, both at the time, and in retrospect. David Sington's use of footage is put together admirably, and the emotion and sheer pride felt from the men involved is highly contagious. For a brief moment last year, I considered this for my #1 spot.


But last year's crowning jewel was without a doubt...

1. No Country for Old Men



Bardem's Anton Chigurh is one of screen's most compelling antagonists, and he dominates the screen in this profoundly multi-layered film. The film's tagline "You can't stop what's coming" perfectly sums up this onion in a nutshell, and this is one of the most impressive films I've seen in the past few years. The sole perfect rating I handed out last year, and most deservedly so. I can recommend no 2007 release more strongly.

The Leftovers
Black Snake Moan, Cashback, Gone Baby Gone, Into the Wild, Juno, 3:10 to Yuma

1 comment:

  1. I Am Legend ranked higher than There Will Be Blood? You knew you'd be getting shit for that one ;)

    Never even heard of Show Business. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

    Oh, and I love the continuing love for Lust, Caution. Was there any movie more under appreciated last year?

    ReplyDelete

This blog format only allows the last 7 posts to be viewable on the first page. To see the older posts, navigate through the list of Labels on the side, OR click on 'Older Posts'.
Powered By Blogger